...getting to know all about yoooouu! (Bonus points if you can name that tune)
Over the past few weeks I've been introduced to some new DDers. It's been nice, really nice, to reconnect to the community. I've rejoined a few groups in hopes that it helps me with expressing my ideas. (That is, when I get brave enough to post more than just an intro).
The conversations have been general, for the most part. Questions such as where I live, what I do, how long have I been "into" DD are all answered pretty easily.
I'm having a bit of a problem however. There is always one question that comes up that makes me hesitate.
"How old are you?"
They don't usually come out and ask at first. Usually I can sense the calculations in their head once I start talking about how long I've been married, kid free, ect.
As soon as it's asked, I panic.
The last time I was asked (yesterday) the conversation stopped dead in it's tracks. It was at that time I wished I had just avoided the question, maybe with a witty "oh, a lady never tells her age" sort of answer. The lady was nice and chatty up to that point. Then all of a sudden she had to go and signed off.
Well Crap! Is usually my first reaction. Then I start over analyzing. Does this mean "word" is going to get around that I'm just a "kid", therefore any post or comment I make is going to be dismissed? These new people, are they going to think I have no idea what I'm talking about because of my age? Who can I get to 'vouch' that I know my stuff? What's the magic word to be accepted?
Anxiety makes meeting people in person is hard enough for me. That's a whole other post Adding the fact that it's all online is even harder.
My logical side (yes, I have one) pipes up amidst the deep sea of self doubt Why do I care what these people think? I don't have to prove anything to anyone! I'm me! I'm awesome! I should be comfortable with that. Right? Right!
But unfortunately all the inner pep talks give me about 5.7 seconds of confidence. This is the precise amount of time it takes me to go to plan B, a little chocolate therapy.
Keep in mind..
ReplyDeleteSome people have ten years experience in one year. Others have one year experience in ten years.
:)
Dean
Dean- I knew I liked you for a reason :) I'll keep you around for a little longer.
ReplyDeleteI dont understand this. What difference does it make how old you are? To me you seem to be doing just fine on your DD journey, thats for sure. Hugs, Galway
ReplyDeleteHm, I've never thought about the age thing. Then again, I've never been asked, and it's never occurred to me to ask anyone else. Now I wonder what, if anything, people would think about MY age. I feel old sometimes, but am not really old in relation to life itself.
ReplyDeleteI really liked Dean's comment. That about sums up life experiences in general, doesn't it?
Incidentally, I'm 31, just to get it right out there! :) I hope we can get to know each other better.