Friday, January 28, 2011

Family Ties....

About two weeks ago, Aaron and I had to make an exciting trip to the ER. 

To make a long story short, my gallbladder decided it wanted nothing to do with me now that I'm 30.  I was admitted into the hospital to have it removed. 

After the cholecystectomy  (fun word, huh?) , my entire family felt like they needed to see for themselves that I was, indeed, still in the land of the living.   

I don't remember much of the conversation we had.  I do however remember my brother coming up to my bedside, reaching for my hand  to do what all good brothers would do. Make fun out of his poor gallbladder-less sister of course.

"Monica, they are doing this all wrong, shouldn't they have you handcuffed to the bed?"

Before you think that DD runs in the family (it doesn't), I need to explain that my brother works in a prison.  He is use to transporting criminals to the hospital, where they are apparently restrained to keep from running away.

Dear readers, put yourself in my shoes (err, hospital socks).  How do you think someone in this lifestyle under my condition and known for their chronic foot-in-mouth disease would have answered?




"Handcuffs?  No, no...I would enjoy that too much."

I place all the blame on the drugs. The nurse must have given me some sort of truth serum.  

My recollection of exactly how my family reacted is a little fuzzy.  I would like to think, for dramatic's sake, that my mother clutched her pearls and  crossed herself a few dozen times.  My Dad must have fainted, and my siblings probably started some sort of disowning ritual.  It's the only ONLY way I can justify what my husband said next.

"Don't worry, Monica and I are the most vanilla couple you've ever seen.  Honest."

My family left soon after. 

Not long after they departed, I began to wonder if I had just IMAGINED the whole ordeal.  I went to Aaron for the truth.

"Honey, did I just admit to my parents that I like being restrained to the bed?"

"Yes, Yes you did, get some sleep dear."

I closed my eyes, but continued to put the pieces of conversation together in my dulled memory.

" Umm, did you use the term vanilla to describe our sex life in front of my entire family?"

"Yes, Yes I did."

"Aaron," I continued hazily. " I could be wrong, but I think the only people that use the term "vanilla" are indeed, non-vanillas.  Do you think you convinced them?"

"I don't think so Monica, as soon as I said it your mother responded with a 'Yeah Right!' "

Should I be more concerned that my mother thinks she has us pegged, or that fact that my mother knows what the term vanilla means?

Maybe it runs in the family after all.


4 comments:

  1. Pretty funny, Monica. And yes, the foolproof way to spot a couple with a side of kink is to listen for the ones who openly proclaim their vanilla-ness. I'm afraid you've been outed :)

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the joys of anesthesia. I think the interesting thing here is that your mom knows the term...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg Monica!! That is too funny! I can just picture you saying it too with that sweet sweet smile that you sport. Awesome post girlfriend. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  4. SugarAnne- Do you think I could just tell my parents they slipped him some drugs too?

    Kelly- it took me a few days to let the whole idea sink in. My mind's eyes are still burning.

    Cupcake- I didn't tell you this story? If I hadn't been in a hospital bed, I probably would have fainted. Love you!

    ReplyDelete