Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Fortune Awaits....in bed!

A few weeks ago, Aaron and I had lunch at our local Chinese buffet.  The highlight of the meal, aside from the fried rice, has always been the fortune cookie. 

Most of you are aware of these. The messages are generic, tidbits of nothing, often casted aside and forgotten about as soon as it's time to leave.

To entertain the immature child raging inside of us, we take turns reciting our fortunes, while the other listens intently and waits for the moment to add the phrase "in bed" to the end. Turning an innocent fortune of prosperity and good health into something deliciously x-rated.

We are easily amused. 

Aaron went first.  We snickered at the results of the now wanton wordings as he tossed the slip of paper on the table.

It was my turn, I cracked open the mini morsel and fished out the slip of paper.  Would it promise me wealth?  A vacation?  A puppy? 



 


I don't know about you, but having a fortune cookie tell you that maybe, just maybe, you could have put on a bit of makeup today isn't exactly what I would call a warm and fuzzy moment.

Particularly mixed with guilt over dousing your entire buffet plate with sweet and sour sauce.

I pouted silently, munching on the somewhat stale prophetic parcel and sank back into my chair

Could this bit of Chinese confection actually have a point?



I admittedly connect my femininity and submissiveness. It may sound a bit silly to some, but I think they seem to flow well together.  Putting on a figure flattering dress or skirt and a few baubles helps boosts my self esteem, makes me feel prettier and sets me on a good start for the rest of the day.  
 
Tuning into my girly side has gotten much easier with practice.  I'm not below begging, and have done so to many of my girlfriends, both non and DD alike, to show me their magic tricks in the art of make up and couture. For a girl who has been known to just buy what is on the mannequin at the department store for fear of buying something that doesn't match, I've managed to do pretty well for myself.  

Now is not the time however, to mention my first attempt at using eyeliner.  Let's just say 30 minutes and one eye swollen shut later, Aaron had to forcefully remove the pencil from my determined grasp.


My eyes still haven't forgiven me.

It would be shallow of me to say that femininity is based solely on one's appearance.  It's just the part I chose to dive into head first.  I've been sort of...coasting in some of the non-physical aspects.   My tongue and temper are still sharper and shorter than ever, often (correctly) portraying me as blunt and demanding. Maybe it's time to focus on bringing out my inner daintiness. 


Make no mistake, I'm not looking to change myself from a spirited submissive into a doormat. I've got too much soul and mischief for that.  Maybe a few steps in the "softer" direction would benefit both my goal of being more feminine and improve my overall everyday submissiveness. 


Should I be worried about taking life advice from a cookie?





P.S.  In case you were wondering, there is an article I found about writing the fortunes in fortune cookies.  Serious business!  Check it out!

And now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

3 comments:

  1. Our entire family add the "in bed" to each and every fortune cookie,LOL! You could get advice from worse sources than a cookie. At least it's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, I think we'll have to try that next time we go out! :-)

    I am with you on the whole feminine stuff! I have gotten better at it, but only because I had a friend who spent some serious time "teaching" me how to do it!! I can relate to everything you are saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post Monica, I am way more of a girly girl than I used to be thats for sure. I really find that DD helped bring it out in me naturally and I find I really really love this feminine side to me. You know I am full of spirit as well but finding my own softer side was surely a blessing. Big hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete